What you need to know about Campervan rental insurance


What you need to know about Campervan rental insurance

August 22, 2019 09:38 AM

Often the world of insurance can seem like an impenetrable black box, obscured by paperwork and jargon which makes it impossible to understand. However, if you plan to embark on a motor-home vacation, especially a long term one, insurance is an absolute necessity.  In order for you to be able to rest easy during your vacation by knowing how and when you are protected, we've taken the liberty of breaking down the most basic forms of Campervan rental insurance.

Vehicle Insurance

Vehicle insurance is what most people think of when they consider car insurance more broadly. Vehicle insurance will protect you financially in any scenario where your rented motor-home incurs some kind of damage, including vandalism or theft. Of course there will only be specific scenarios in which you are covered while driving your RV and your insurance plan may require that you adhere to certain requirements in order to maintain the coverage provided.  If you'd like specific information on exactly what situations you may be covered in and which you may not be, read our sections on mandatory and optional insurance plans or contact one of our representatives who will happily go through the details with you. Inevitably, there will always be a certain amount of excess cost in the event of any damage that you, the renter, will be liable for, but again this amount will vary based on the plan that you choose.

Collision Damage Waivers

There are also more simplified insurance options which specifically cover damage in the event of a crash or a collision. These are called Collision Damage Waivers or CDWs and usually come in amounts of $1000-$1500. CDWs are generally included in the regular rental rate for campers and motor-homes, as they tend to benefit both the renter and company in terms of protection. Again, these CDWs will leave the renter responsible for any excess damage which exceeds the amount agreed upon according to the CDW in the event of a collision or accidental damage. If you choose to reject the CDW entirely you will become responsible for any amount of damage incurred in the event of an accident.

Liability Insurance

Where vehicle insurance protects you from any damage you may cause to your own camper, liability insurance protects you from any damage you may cause to someone else's vehicle, property, or person. If claims are brought by a third party who's incurred damages as a result of an accident, renters and rental companies in the United States are generally separately insured. The minimum level of coverage for renters tends to be fairly low. In California liability minimums are $30,000 for personal injury and $5,000 for property damage If these minimums seem insufficient and you want to be sure you’ll be protected in any catastrophe, we've got you covered. Supplemental liability insurance is an optional purchase which usually costs around $10-$13 and will extend beyond the state minimums of third party liability coverage up to over $500,000 in damage.


What Customers Say

Need Help? Call (818) 225-8239
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial